On Saturday, 12th September, Himanta Biswa Sharma announced some “Biggest Infrastructural” project in a press meet at Janata Bhawan (Assam Secretariat).
Some major infrastructure development projects were mentioned by the Health and Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma today that includes the construction of a new Medical College in the state. New degree colleges for girls and Law colleges. Road corridors for better connectivity within the state. In addition to it, a few flyovers and bridges will also be constructed.
The following are the minute details of today’s press meet by the minister.
- The financial lockdown which was imposed on 29th April will be lifted.
- Financial restrictions will be imposed on the operations of the government departments for choosing 5-star hotels in organizing seminars and travelling in luxury cars.
- By collaborating MMCH and Kalapahar TB hospital, a 2nd Guwahati Medical College will be opened that will be the largest medical college and hospital in eastern India.
- Six new degree colleges will be opened in the districts of Sonitpur, Tinsukia, Majuli, Chirang, Baksa, Udalgiri.
- 9 new degree colleges will be opened in Cachar, Karimganj, Hailakandi, Barpeta, Nagaon, Darang, Bilasipara, Goalpara, Gulukganj that will be exclusively for women.
- 10 new law colleges will be made in Silchar, Diphu, Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Rangia, Tihu, Roha, Jorhat, North Lakhimpur, and Bilasipara.
- In Goalpara, Biswanath Chariali, and Charaideo, 3 new hospitals, and medical colleges will be built to cater the patients of those places.
Apart from the announcement of building new education institutions, Himata Biswa Sarma also talked about the development of some new roads, corridors, bridges, and flyover that will connect the different districts and places of the state and will ease the commute.
- In this press meet, Mr Sarma informed about the construction of a new bridge that will connect Majuli and Lakhimpur.Construction of a new flyover above Tezpur’s Mission Chariali and Maligaon Chariali.
- 10 road corridors will be made for better connectivity among the districts. The corridors will be constructed between Nagaon-Batadraba. The corridor will be 24 km long and will cost around Rs 194 crore.
- Another 41 km long corridor will be built between Sonari and Saraideu.
- With a sanctioned amount of Rs 216 crore, a 32 km long corridor will be built connecting Jorhat Medical College and Komarbondha.
For more details on the said project CLICK HERE to watch the Facebook live session by Himanta Biswa Sarma.
HBS also updated about the COVID situation of the state in the press meet. He mentioned that Assam has now a recovery rate of 78% and a mortality rate of 0.31%. From the beginning of September 30,000 new COVID cases have been reported. 1304 patients have received plasma therapy till now. He has also updated the restrictions in Durga Puja because of the pandemic. The districts of Biswanath, Dima Hasao, and South Salmara didn’t record any single registered case of death from COVID 19 since its inception.
It is to be noted that the Assam Legislative Election will take place in April 2021and hence some important developmental announcements have been made by the minister today. Hence, it will be interesting to see if all the promises can be achieved in due time.