The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Monday issued its Revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calender for the Universities in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Guidelines were formulated by an Expert Committee which was constituted by the UGC in April, and had submitted a previous version of the guidelines on 29th April. The Expert Committee was asked by the UGC to revisit the guidelines of April and suggest options for examinations and admissions in the Universities/Colleges and also for the beginning of the new academic session as the number of COVID-19 cases is still rising.
The highlights of the Guidelines formulated by the Expert Committee are as follows :
- In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is of paramount importance to ensure the health of the students. At the same time, it is also important to ensure academic credibility. The performance in examinations gives confidence and satisfaction to the students and is a reflection of competence, performance and credibility that is necessary for global acceptibility.
- The terminal semester examinations or final year examinations shall be conducted by the universities in online, offline or blended mode. This should be done before the end of September, 2020.
- The terminal semester or final year students who have backlog in previous terms shall be compulsorily evaluated in those paper(s) in online, offline or blended mode as per feasibility.
- If a student of terminal semester or final year cannot appear in the exams due to any reason whatsoever, the University shall provide them with the opportunity to appear in the corresponding exam(s) on a later date so that no student is put to any inconvenience or disadvantage. However, this provision is only a one time measure for the currently ongoing academic session.
- The guidelines regarding intermediate semester/year examinations will remain the same as in the guidelines published on 29th April, where a student will be evaluated and graded per their performance in internal assessment and previous semester/year results.
A copy of the official UGC notification has been attached below :